- Undergraduate Majors
- Full-Time MSW Program
- Full-Time MSW FAQs
- Master's Requirements
- Awards & Scholarships
- Child Welfare Training Program
- Part-Time MSW Program
- Ph.D. Program
- Field Education
Professional Social Work Credentials & Continuing Education
Certification is a legal status required to use the title "Social Worker," and licensure is necessary to practice social work. Please use the resources below to learn more about the requirements for these processes.
Watch a presentation by Assistant Director Bill Heiss
on Licensure and Certification in Wisconsin (Part 1 of 4)
- State of Wisconsin School Social Work Certification
- State of Wisconsin Clinical Social Work Certification
- Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Continuing Education and Social Work Certification
- How to Request a Wisconsin Social Work Certification Application (Full-Time MSW and BSW)
- How to Request a Wisconsin Social Work Certification Application (Part-Time MSW)
- Certification and Licensing Requirements for School Social Workers (all states)
- Social Work License Map with requirements for all 50 states
Many organizations offer continuing education opportunities for social workers. The School of Social Work's offerings are can be found on the Events calendar.
UW-Madison Division of Continuing Studies.....
The Department of Professional Development and Applied Studies, through the University of Wisconsin-Madison, offers extensive continuing education opportunities appropriate for social workers.
Explore the programs we have available that will help you fulfill your mandated continuing education requirements. Visit their page for certified social workers.