Organization: Tenant Resource Center
Location: Madison, WI
Position: Housing Counselor
Hours: Full time, limited evenings/weekend work required. Flexible schedule possible
Benefits: 18 paid personal/vacation days annually plus paid holidays
100% Premium Coverage for Health, Vision and Dental Insurance
Reporting: Housing Counselors report directly to the Tenant Services Program Director
- Provide information and answer questions about housing rights and responsibilities to tenants, landlords, and service providers.
- Provide information and referrals to persons seeking to maintain and/or find housing throughout Dane County, including several affordable and low-income housing programs.
- Present to groups of tenants, landlords, and housing professionals on housing laws, legislative changes, and best practices for maintaining positive relationships in rental housing.
- Assist in developing written materials for tenant, landlords, and housing professionals.
- Maintain and distribute comprehensive housing information in Dane County.
- Record statistical data and assist in contract reporting requirements.
- Coordinate housing and tenant service provision with nonprofits, government agencies, and other community partners.
- Other duties as assigned which may vary based on grant/requirements and staffing changes.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Bi-lingual in Spanish or Hmoob preferred.
- Case Management experience or social work related degree a plus, but not required.
- Demonstrated ability to deal professionally with persons of diverse backgrounds and abilities in extreme personal crisis.
- Creative problem-solving skills, including ability to respond creatively to crisis situations.
- History of positive working relationships with people of diverse racial/ethnic, socio-economic, and educational backgrounds.
- Be trained or able to be trained as a housing counselor in local, state, and federal housing laws, consumer protection laws, and small claims court procedures.
- Good organizational skills and ability to work independently and with close attention to detail.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including a pleasant phone manner.
- Training or ability to learn about government and social service agencies that assist renters and persons without homes.
- Commitment to the principles of Housing First and trauma-informed care.
- Ability to have a flexible schedule.
*Resumes and cover letters may be mailed or hand-delivered to our Williamson Street address or emailed to Office@TenantResourceCenter.org by noon on Friday, September 27th, 2019. Please mark your submission “Housing Counselor.”