Location: Janesville, WI
Description & Responsibilities
The Jail Screening Specialist is a professional position responsible for conducting interviews and assessments of inmates in the Rock County Jail. The Jail Screening Specialist provides a detailed and objective report to the Court, Prosecution and Defense to assist in the bail decision. This includes the defendant’s assessed risk level, and recommendations related to bail and release conditions. The Jail Screening Specialist also assists in the process of releasing individuals from custody to pretrial supervision and in providing more in-depth assessment to identify individuals who may be eligible for Rock County’s Alternative Justice Programs.
- Bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice, Social Work, Psychology, or related human service field required.
- Must obtain Pretrial Service Practitioner Certification within six months of employment.
- Knowledge and understanding of the goals and objectives of pretrial services and the court rules governing pretrial release.
- Computer literacy including working knowledge and experience of Windows and word processing, as well as data entry experience (Microsoft Word & Access)
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule, including weekend hours
- Applied knowledge and understanding of criminal justice process is an asset
- Experience in motivational interviewing techniques preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- High level of skill in organization and attention to detail and accuracy as well as ability to handle multiple tasks at one time
- Ability to work independently
- Demonstrated ability to work well with individuals from diverse economic, racial, and ethnic backgrounds
- Fluency in Spanish, spoken and written, preferred
- Valid Wisconsin driver’s license and automobile with insurance required
- Pre-employment background check conducted by the Rock County Sheriff’s department is required.
- Complete pretrial risk assessments for arrestees booked into the Rock County jail by conducting complete and accurate criminal history and record checks using Consolidated Court Automation Programs (CCAP), NCIC, and any other appropriate information systems.
- Conduct face-to-face interviews with newly arrested inmates being held in lieu of bail within restricted and confined areas of the Rock County Jail.
- Verify information obtained during interviews and further investigate all aspects of the defendant which are relevant to the setting of bail and release conditions.
- Prepare written reports for electronic submission notifying the court of the results of the investigation and risk assessment including recommendations for bail and release conditions based on the use of the designated risk assessment tool.
- Maintain complete, accurate, and verified records in the designated Pretrial Services Information System that document and support activity necessary related to program goals, objectives, and outcomes
- Complete Level of Service Inventory-Revised (LSI-R) Risk and Needs assessments to determine eligibility for Rock County’s Alternative Justice Programs.
- Assist in the process of releasing individuals from custody to pretrial supervision.
The Jail Screening Specialist reports to the Program Director.
How to Apply