Organization: SER Jobs for Progress National, Inc
Location: Madison, WI
Title: Employment & Training Specialist I
Reports To: SCSEP Coordinator
Summary: Under general supervision, interview, assess and counsel eligible applicants; develop individualized employment plans; solicit employment and work training opportunities for participants from prospective employers; refer participants for training, on-the-job experience and employment; and perform other work as required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Knowledge of employment and training programs and related community resources.
2. Utilizing interviewing and counseling techniques in placement activities.
3. Apply fundamental principles of human behavior and group dynamics. Career, vocational and employment counseling planning practices and techniques.
4. Extensive record keeping activities.
5. Applying effective case management techniques.
6. Knowledge of hiring trends and practices of private and public sector employers for placement activities. Common occupational titles, the usual minimum qualifications, training and/or experience required in order to secure employment in those occupations.
7. Research various resources available for military veterans required for some positions.
8. Access and updating of available community resources and programs to assist participants in overcoming employment barriers and becoming job ready.
9. Interview persons from various backgrounds, to obtain information concerning their employment skills and occupational goals.
10. Identify and assess needs and barriers to employment and develop meaningful employment plans.
11. Implement client employment plans through referral to appropriate programs.
12. Conduct follow-up with participants and employers to evaluate progress and take necessary corrective actions.
13. Prepare reports, forms, plans and agreements.
14. Interpret, explain and apply complex Federal and State regulations.
15. Maintain a large caseload of both applicants and participants.
16. Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others.
17. Plan and schedule work.
18. Effectively utilize community and agency resources.
19. Input, access and analyze data using a computer.
20. Design and conduct individual and/or group training to improve job readiness of participants.
21. Work with employers to develop employment opportunities.
22. Negotiate and determine necessary supportive services for participants.
23. Performs related duties as assigned.
Education / Experience:
· Associates degree of BA/BS degree from an accredited college or university with a major in social work or a related field or related course study. Experience and education may be substituted for one another.
· Knowledge of the Older Americans Act and amendments and the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act.
· Experience working with the SCSEP program on a state or national level.
· Knowledge of relevant federal, state, and local regulations affecting employment and training practices.
· Knowledge of social service, counseling, career planning, and/or placement, community agency practices or related field.
· Knowledge of, or ability to learn and use SPARQ and other automated reporting systems.
· Demonstrated supervisory skills.
· Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint).
· Excellent oral and written communications skills. Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
· Willingness to travel and work flexible hours.
· Extensive travel required. Must possess and provide a valid Driver’s License and Automobile Liability Insurance as required by the state. Must have access to reliable transportation.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $35,000.00 to $40,000.00 /year
- case management: 3 years (Preferred)
- social work: 3 years (Preferred)
- Bachelor’s (Preferred)
- Drivers (Required)
- Spanish (Preferred)
- United States (Required)