POSITION SUMMARY: The Elementary Afterschool & Summer Teacher helps create and run our comprehensive afterschool and summer camp for elementary age children in grades K-5. Our licensed program emphasizes positive youth development and trauma informed mindset in work with our diverse group of young people. We build partnerships and offer activities in academic support, arts, health/fitness and community service and leadership development. The ideal candidate will have an enthusiasm for working with young people and offering culturally relevant and enriching experiences. This part-time position reports to the Elementary Programs Manager.
Hours: 22 hrs/week in school year (generally 2pm-6pm) and 40 hrs/week in summer (8:30am 4:30pm)
Compensation: $14.46/hour and paid time off and disability insurance
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Plan, prepare, implement, and evaluate activities for elementary school age youth.
- Monitor daily attendance, follow tracking procedures, and maintain weekly records.
- Ensure the safety of participants by providing adequate supervision of all elementary youth.
- Lead the set-up, cleanup, and organization of rooms and activity centers for program each day. Ensure spaces are accessible and ready for other facility users as needed.
- Create and maintain a welcoming and supportive classroom environment. Rotate activity center materials regularly.
- Guide desired youth behavior using the Lussier Community Circle, LCEC policies, and licensing regulations.
- Ensure LCEC policies and state licensing regulations are followed every day.
- Develop strong positive relationships with youth and their families.
- Be sensitive to issues students face and work with the team to identify needs and solutions for situations as they arise.
- Work cooperatively with community partners and volunteers to facilitate activities and special events.
- Help create and distribute program materials to families including monthly newsletters, notices of program activities and events, and registration forms. Promote all LCEC events with youth and families.
- Prepare and serve nutritious snacks and meals; lead youth in clean up.
- Participate in regularly scheduled staff meetings.
- Acquire and document twenty-five (25) hours of professional development each year as required by state licensing.
- Participate in shared work of LCEC including neighborhood events, staff retreats/meetings and other projects as arise.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- Experience working as Assistant or Lead Teacher in Wisconsin licensed child care program or equivalent.
- Knowledge of behavior guidance and conflict resolution language and techniques.
- Mature attitude, creativity, resourcefulness, and a positive role model for youth.
- Understanding and appreciation of ethnically diverse populations.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Familiarity with State Day Care Licensing Rules and Regulations and City of Madison Accreditation Guidelines.
- Valid driver’s license and three years with good driving record.
- Current CPR and First Aid Certification.
- Computer experience including word processing.
Download the application at LCECmadison.org or pick up at the Lussier Community Education Center, 55 S Gammon Rd, Madison. Cover letter and resume sent without an application may prompt consideration, but a completed application will be required before hire. Send to jobs@LCECmadison.org or by mail. Applications will be accepted until this position is filled. LCEC is an EOE/AA employer.