Organization: Eau Claire County
Location: Eau Claire, WI
Application Deadline: October 25, 2020
Salary Range: $81,806 to $88,109
Under general direction of the Department Director and with broad authority, this position is responsible for all delegated facets of daily operations of the Human Services Department. The position works closely with the Human Services Director and Management Team and works and coordinates with other County Department Heads. This position has a key role in assessing operations; planning, implementing and coordinating programs, system operations, policies and procedures across the department. This includes responding to human resource and personnel needs to provide for consistent and responsive operations of the Department. This role, with the Department Director, engages in strategic planning to carry out the Vision and Mission of the Department. The position provides back up to the Director in all agency management duties.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (Illustrative only)
Assumes agency management duties in the absence of the Human Services Director. Keeps the Director informed at all times of matters that warrant attention. Performs specific ongoing duties in areas ensuring strong communication, leadership practices and program coordination throughout the agency. Ensures effective coordination and communication with other Eau Claire County Department Directors. Represents Eau Claire County Human Services in State, association, community, or other collaborative meetings to develop service strategies.
Management Team Support and Agency Communications
- Works with the Director on the development of agency-wide communication strategies that ensure strong communications centered on the agency mission, vision, strategic objective, initiatives and continuous change and in accordance with State and Federal law and County policy
- Facilitates and coordinates the weekly meetings with the IS (Information Systems Department) to establish and maintain effective and efficient technology processes.
- Supports management team in their administration of human services programs, ensuring strong leadership practices and coordination throughout the agency.
- Consults and meets regularly with Division Administrators to discuss and update initiatives related to strategic planning objectives, agency mission and vision and/or to gather employee and input and feedback. Supports and recognizes staff for the difficult and critical work they do for our community.
- Coordinates development of the Department’s annual report.
- Coordinates media requests and assists in developing of press releases and media contact.
- Interacts and communicates within the Department, other County departments, local agencies, state bureaus, and Elected Officials, interpreting and acting as advocate for agency programs, responsibilities, and client needs
- Develops, composes, and organizes narratives, reports, and correspondence
- Participates in and monitors the maintenance of reporting and recording systems and records management practices and procedures
- Serves as the initial level responder to client complaints that come to the Director.
- Acts on behalf of the Human Services Director on matters related to client services programs; provides coverage for and exercises delegated responsibilities and authority of that position
- Represents him/her at meetings with administrative officials, Board of Supervisors, legislative bodies, boards, commissions, and various community groups and other organizations
- Serves on State Councils, and ad hoc Wisconsin County Human Services Association Committees
- Explains and interprets policies, procedures and regulations for complex program issues
Budget and Overall Performance
- Works closely with the Human Services Director, Human Services Fiscal Manager, and Department Leadership to ensure the availability of the data and fiscal information necessary to monitor and manage budget performance, support operations and monitor program performance.
- Participates in the development of the annual budget.
- Assists in closely monitoring budget performance throughout the year, working with the Fiscal Manager, Department Administrators, and the Department Director to manage within budget allowances. Participates in the planning or implementation of program adjustments as needed to meet objectives.
- Works across the Department, throughout the community and with regional and State partners to identify how service needs can be met more efficiently through improved collaboration, integration, program changes or innovation.
Coordination of Information System Needs
- Works closely with the Management Team and the County’s IS Director to regularly identify, prioritize, coordinate, and recommend Department IS needs, objectives, and priorities
- Serves as the IS Contact for the Department
- Assists, with the Agency Director, on all employee related issues including, but not limited to : performance appraisals ( processes), performance issues requiring discipline or corrective action, job satisfaction feedback, coordination/communication regarding updates to employee handbook, policies, procedures, etc., recruitment and retention, training, and coordinating administrative grievance reviews.
- Ensures Department policies are current and are continuing to meet the needs of the agency. Coordinates the development of new policies or revision of exiting policies. Ensures Department operations and practices are conducted and in alignment with Eau Claire County policies and ordinances.
Other area of Responsibility
- Lead and assist in coordinating emergency management and disaster preparedness for the Department.
- Assist and work with the Department Contract Specialist and Managers in contract development and monitoring, administrative support services, and planning and utilization of equipment and space
- Assist Director in the recruiting, interviewing, and hiring of management staff
- Participate in Department Leadership planning and meetings
- Performs other related duties as assigned or directed
In this public service position, employee is required to be courteous, cooperative, and respectful at all times with the public. Also, establishes and maintains a courteous, cooperative, and respectful working relationship with County and Department employees, department leadership, and public officials.
Employee is expected to report to work when scheduled. This position may be required to work nights and/or weekends, during community emergencies and/or disasters, when work may vary from normal job responsibilities.
- Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in a field directly related to the administration of human services, such as MSW, MPA, or MBA
- Three (3) years of full-time, progressively responsible professional experience in service program
- Three (3) years of full-time increasingly responsible administrative experience with direct responsibility for major program planning and administration, budget or policy direction
- LICENSES, CERTIFICATES, AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Appointment will be conditional upon successful completion of a criminal and caregivers background check
- Must possess and maintain a valid Wisconsin driver’s license and have access to private transportation at all times for work related duties