Our team of Shelter Advocates provide supervision and intake of clients, maintaining security, and providing supportive services in a Christian atmosphere.
Hours: midnight – 8:00am some weekdays and weekends.
The Salvation Army Mission:
The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
- Conducts intake interviews of incoming residents into shelter
- Assigns a proper room and distributes needed bedding and personal items
- Provides necessary supervision of shelter and residents, assuring that rules and policies are being followed
- Maintains an awareness of client needs
- Answers telephone calls, taking messages when appropriate
- Cleans shelter areas as necessary
- Prepares snacks for shelter residents
- Oversees lunch and dinner preparations in dining room
- Reviews log book and updates entries as needed
- Performs room inspections
- Distributes medications as needed
- Supervises volunteers and community service workers, when assigned.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent
Experience: Experience working with the homeless population desirable
- Excellent customer service approach
- Strong organizational skills, with the ability to prioritize tasks. Able to function within a fast-paced environment and deal effectively with crisis situations
- De-escalation and crisis intervention techniques
- Computer applications related to the work including skills in Microsoft Word, Internet and E-mail
- Techniques for dealing with a variety of individuals from various socio-economic, ethnic, and cultural backgrounds, in person and over the telephone
- Operate within established procedural guidelines
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with officers and staff
- Communicate effectively: orally, in writing and over the telephone