POLICE SOCIAL WORKER
City of Freeport, IL
The City of Freeport, an historic community in northwest Illinois, is looking for its first ever Police Social Worker. The primary responsibility of the Police Social Worker is the administration, coordination and delivery of the Department’s social services.
The successful candidate will possess a Master’s degree in Social Work or Counseling and be an Illinois Licensed Social Worker, Professional Counselor or equivalent, through the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Accreditation.
This position requires 2 years of experience in social work, with good clinical skills, working with juvenile and elderly populations, DCFS knowledge, and domestic violence and crisis intervention experience.
The Police Social Worker must be able communicate information effectively, both verbally and in writing, and is responsible for maintaining a working knowledge of Neighborhood Based Policing philosophy, focusing upon citizen and customer satisfaction.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Coordinate and deliver crisis intervention services when called upon.
- Coordinate and deliver short-term counseling and supporting services.
- Provide victim and witness court advocacy and assist victims and witnesses with applying for available assistance.
- Maintain current knowledge of police activity.
- Maintain a working relationship with other mental health professionals and social service agencies serving the Freeport area.
- Maintain a working relationship with schools and community resources.
- Promptly follow up Police Social Worker Referrals and provide feedback to the referring officer.
- Maintain thorough case files of all cases worked.
- Produce written reports as directed by the Chief of Police or as required in the course of handling cases.
- Coordinate, prepare and deliver public speaking engagements as scheduling will permit.
Starting salary range is $53,000 to $63,000 DOQ, with an excellent benefit package, including IMRF retirement. Candidates should send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes will be accepted until position is filled