Gilda’s Club Madison opened its doors in the summer of 2008. We create a community of free emotional support, cancer education, and hope for children and adults with any cancer diagnosis and those who care about them. Gilda’s Club is an affiliate of the Cancer Support Community.
A Group Facilitator is a licensed mental health professional responsible for facilitation of weekly and/or monthly networking support groups for people affected by cancer at Gilda’s Club Madison (a member of the Cancer Support Community, CSC) or other GCM site. Group Facilitators help members connect with one another as they discover ways to reduce isolation, regain a sense of control, and find hope. Group Facilitators are specifically trained in the CSC philosophy and support group methodology and utilize those specific skills in group facilitation at CSC. Facilitators continue to cultivate CSC group facilitation skills through participation in regular clinical supervision meetings. Facilitators may also be engaged to oversee and/or conduct educational workshops, individual and/or family sessions, intake interviews and other programs as well as representing the CSC mission, core concepts and philosophy to the general public.
Minimum Education: Master’s Degree in Social Work, Counseling Marriage & Family Therapy, Psychology or Child Life Certificate.
Required Qualifications: Licensed mental health professional through the State of Wisconsin
Possession of a valid driver’s license
Preferred Qualifications: Minimum three years’ work experience in the mental health field; group leading and individual interventions
Technologically proficiency – shared documents, databases, Zoom, Microsoft platforms
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support Group Facilitation and Management
- Facilitate group members (in person and virtually) in sharing their cancer-related experiences, gaining knowledge and information in regularly scheduled support group meetings by utilizing the CSC support group model.
- Serve as an expert in group facilitation and the psychosocial aspects of cancer across the continuum (diagnosis, treatment, post-treatment, long-term survivorship, end of life), but not as an expert in cancer or cancer treatment.
- Conduct pre-group interviews and/or customized membership plan if/when required by the Program Director.
- Maintain paperwork specific to group management (rosters, attendance, group notes, pre-group interview forms, etc).
- Submit all required attendance sheets, reports and time sheets in a timely and accurate manner.
- Provide back-up coverage for other support groups as needed and if time allows.
- General Program Administration and Direct Service
- May be engaged to serve as a GCM “host” for educational workshops, and other special programs. Expectations include, but are not limited to, introducing speakers/workshop leaders, providing introductory remarks that include a brief overview of CSC/GCM, participating in the program, occasional facilitation with presenter, fielding questions and answers, providing evaluations and closure and providing feedback to the Program Director on the process and content of the workshop.
- Work to build community among all members, staff and others.
- Supervision and Professional Development
- Complete approximately 20 hours of training experience at GCM under the direction of the Program Director. Training will include group observation, attendance at supervision meetings, independent readings, and web-based coursework.
- Participate in regular facilitator meetings under the direction of the Program Director.
- Participate in an annual facilitator review process under the supervision of the Program Director.
- Provide annual documentation of current licensure and malpractice insurance.
- Voluntarily participate in ongoing continuing education opportunities related to psychosocial oncology.
The health and safety of our team and participants remain our top priority. As such, effective January 1, 2022, all Gilda’s Club Madison employees working at our facilities will be required to be vaccinated for COVID-19. Exceptions to this policy will be considered with applicable law. GCM is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, creed, disability, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and any other status protected by local, state, or federal law.
How to Apply
To apply for this position mail, fax, or email a cover letter, resume, and credentials to:
Gilda’s Club Madison
Attn: Kirsten Norslien, Program Director
7907 UW Health Court
Middleton, WI 53562
Applications for this role are accepted on a rolling basis. Applicants who are offered employment will be subject to passing a background check as a condition of employment.
Organization: Gilda’s Club Madison
Job Location: Middleton, WI