Our Runaway & Teen Crisis Program seeks a team member passionate about serving youth in our community at our emergency shelter for runaway, homeless, and other youth in crisis.
- Supervise shelter residents and walk-in clients in a therapeutic environment.
- Conduct youth intake assessments, crisis intervention services, and resident youth group sessions.
- Work closely with other social service and crisis intervention agencies in the best interest of youth clients.
- Assist callers on the crisis hotline and make referrals within our organization as well as other community programs as needed.
- Follow shelter’s daily schedule and complete general maintenance tasks.
- Assist in the supervision of community volunteers and student interns.
- Attend weekly staff meeting.
This position requires the participant to apply for and meet the requirements of an AmeriCorps member for the service term which runs September 1st, 2022 to August 31st, 2023 and agree to the special conditions and benefits of this membership.
- Part Time: Commit to a minimum of 900 hours of service (approx. 20-25 hrs/week) to be completed throughout the 2022-2023 AmeriCorps service term.
- Have flexible work availability. Our 24/7 shelter is open during daytime, evening, and overnight hours.
- Pass a state of Wisconsin caregiver background check.
- Prior experience working with youth and families preferred.
- Be at least 20 years of age at time of application.
- Part Time: Receive a monthly stipend of $728.00 (less taxes)
- Part Time: Upon successful completion of term, AmeriCorps members receive an Education Award of $3,172.00, for federal student loan repayment or future tuition payments.
- Federal student loan deferment and interest forbearance accrued during term of service offered through AmeriCorps.
- Health care and child care benefits to qualifying individuals through AmeriCorps.
- Professional development through hands on training and experience
- Professional networking opportunities as an AmeriCorps alumni
The mission of Walker’s Point Youth & Family Center is to meet the needs of runaway, homeless, and other troubled youth and their families from Milwaukee’s diverse communities by providing services to empower youth, help them resolve personal and family problems, strengthen family relationships, and support safe and stable homes.
Walker’s Point Youth & Family Center is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, which has provided assistance to Milwaukee area youth and families since 1976. Over the past 43 years, we have served over 8,000 young people ages 11-17 with temporary emergency shelter through our Runaway & Teen Crisis Program, and provided an additional 6,400 youth with non-residential counseling and support group services. Since 1992, we have also provided housing to over 530 youth ages 16-21 through our Transitional & Supportive Housing Program.
Organization: Walker’s Point Youth and Family Center
Location: Milwaukee, WIRead the full article at: https://www.jobsthathelp.com/job/walkers-point-youth-family-center-milwaukee-wi-americorps-youth-family-specialist-nov/