The Child and Family Support Specialist provides an array of services to children, youth, and families with compassion, support, and professionalism. These services include safety services, mentoring, individual skill development, sobriety assessment, parental support, family supervision, and crisis support. Services occur in the family home and in the community and are provided in conjunction with a team of field workers, other service providers, and the child protective staff of local county departments. The Child and Family Support Specialist is responsible for ensuring the emotional and physical safety of children during visits.
Organization: Orion Family Services – Department of Community Services
Job Location: Madison, WI
• Plans, implements, and conducts all client care services in conjunction with the supervisor and program requirements.
• Identifies and addresses safety concerns observed during client visits.
• Reviews, establishes, and maintains client service and activity plans, ensuring that all policies, regulations, and guidelines for client care are met.
• Participates in staff, program, educational and in-service activities. This includes attendance at team meetings for clients, and consultation and supervision meetings within the agency.
• Actively participates in discussions addressing program and client issues and responds to concerns.
• Represents the agency to various government agencies, funding agencies, and the local community.
• Completes accurate documentation of contact with clients according to established time frames.
• Maintains communication with other Orion staff and involved providers.
• Work a variety of hours and times of day and adjust to changes in scheduling and clients.
• Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
• Ability to work effectively and compassionately with children, youth, adolescents, and their families.
• Ability to cultivate and maintain positive relationships with clients and their families.
• Strong and ethical decision-making skills, at times in stressful environments.
• Ability to demonstrate good judgement in a variety of situations in the home and the community.
• Knowledge of child development, substance use issues, mental health diagnoses, de-escalation techniques, trauma informed care and other relevant topics. Ability to continue to learn new skills and understand these topics.
• Strong interpersonal, communication and community relations skills.
• Ability to communicate and work effectively within a diverse community.
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to details.
• Ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule, independently with limited supervision.
Required Education and Experience:
Preferred applicants possess a bachelor’s degree in social work (or a related human services field). Applicants with a high school diploma (or equivalent) and experience working with children/youth/adolescents will be considered.
Position Type and expected hours of work:
Part-time position with opportunities to reach full-time status. Scheduled hours may be throughout the morning, day, evenings, and weekends, and occur mostly in Jefferson, Green, Dane and Rock Counties. Scheduled hours are based around YOUR availability. Flexibility is a plus.
Salary and Range: Starting salary is $17.50 per hour.
Physical Requirements/Work Environment/Travel Requirements:
Travel to client homes, schools and community locations is required.
• Must have a reliable vehicle, valid driver’s license, and a good driving record.
• Completion of annual vehicle inspection.
• Must maintain auto insurance to specified levels, with proof of insurance presented annually.
• Must pass annual background check and annual driving record background check.
EEOC/Affirmative Action Statement:
Orion Family Services provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
How to Apply:
Please email your resume to Community Services Program Manager Samantha Benson
For questions, please call (608) 225 – 2108