Chair/Co-chairs: David Barger
Fall 2021 Committee Members: Committee or Group: Audrey Conn, Russ Portier, Courtney Bingham, Anna-Marie Heins, Alejandra Pilarz, Jason Lee, Sarah Meier
2021-22 (December) Report Out
#2 Improve a sense of inclusion for students, faculty, and staff
Objective(s): Working to make sure our faculty/staff/students/visitors don’t face any accessibility or prejudicial barriers while moving through the school.
Current & Future Action Steps/Timeframes:
- Gather more information on what issues are facing our instructors and students by sending out an “accessibility” survey. We would want this to go out no later than early December to have time to collect and analyze the responses before January retreat.
- Contact McBurney center to see if they will do a walk through the building and see if they see issues that we can address.
- Make the Parenting Room more useful with updates and upgrades.
- Caption pictures around the building that highlight commitment to diversity.
- Work with the CAPE team to provide them with more specific questions to be included in survey for better feedback on building accessibility and openness.
Strategic Plan Progress Report Out April 2021
Committee Name: Building Committee
Committee Members: David Barger, Audrey Conn, Russ Portier, Courtney Bingham, Alan Irgang, Alejandra Ros Pilarz, Jason Lee, and Vicky Knoke
Strategic Plan Goal: Improve a sense of inclusion for our students, faculty, and staff
Objective 1: Enhance physical space(s) by promoting community building, creativity, and collaboration among faculty, students, and staff.
Progress on goal since February 2021
We have had several discussions with muralist Amira Caire (who co-painted the Tony Robinson mural at the UW Bookstore). She is interested in painting a mural for the SSW that commemorates the BLM movement/protest of the summer of 2020. We are trying to find a time that works for her work schedule (she is also a teacher) with hopes that she will paint this summer with the mural being completed by the start of fall semester 2021.
We have also worked with a space designer from EBI (our furniture supplier) to design a safe space on the westside of the 4th floor that will be part meeting space and part private study space that includes reliable WIFI and a comfortable area for students to share, create and work together.
With significant input from students, we selected and printed numerous photos of our faculty, staff, students, and special guests that hopefully demonstrates the school’s commitment to diversity and gives our hallways more of a community feel.