- This event has passed.
Introduction to Motivational Interviewing (MI) Virtual Webinar
September 24, 2021 @ 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
One event on September 24, 2021 at 8:30 am
2-part Series (must attend both sessions)
Friday, September 17th & Friday, September 24th, 2021
8:30am – 4:30pm
13 CEU’s Provided!
This two-day Motivational Interviewing (MI) training with SSW alum and MI expert, Laura Saunders, MSSW will help you develop skills and increase your confidence in using this evidence-based approach. Through didactic discussion, small and large group work, and video examples participants will be invited to learn and practice the foundations of MI to assist clients in making change.
This webinar will be offered entirely virtual, on two consecutive Fridays in September. You must be able to attend both Fridays in order to register. Webinar capacity is set at 300, and will be first come, first serve. All students currently in a field placement will have the first opportunity for registration and must register no later than September 10, 2020 (by 5:00 pm) in order to guarantee space. After that date, registration will open to others. This seminar will count, with your supervisor’s approval, towards a student’s field hours.
All students in the Mental Health Focus Area are strongly encouraged to attend!
- Describe motivational interviewing: purpose, benefits and limitations
- Summarize each of the 4 processes in motivational interviewing
- Prepare to apply the spirit of motivational interviewing to client interactions
- Observe and practice fundamental skills: listening, open-ended questions, affirmations, reflective listening and summarization
- Define and summarize the processes of focusing and evoking
- Define and recognize change talk, sustain talk and discordance
- Differentiate between client cues of readiness, ambivalence and discordance
- Construct effective responses to different client cues
- Design a plan for advancing individual MI skills
LINK TO REGISTER: Forthcoming
Please note: This webinar is a repeat from last year’s Morrissey-sponsored workshop.
We look forward to seeing you there!