- History and Traditions
- Student Involvement
- Life in Madison
- Students with Disabilities
- Focus on Diversity
- How Are We Doing?
- Undergraduate Majors
- Full-Time MSW Program
- Part-Time MSW Program
- Ph.D. Program
- Field Education
- Practice Skills Lab
Health Focus Area
The Health focus area prepares students to work successfully in a variety of settings that tackle the unique and intersecting issues related to health. All students in this focus area learn advanced practice skills in brokering, care/case management, assessment, and interdisciplinary teamwork. They develop knowledge and skills around cutting-edge social work topics such as consumer-directed care, consumer-centered assessment, and end-of-life care.
Students also learn about current services and policies related to health, aging, and disability, and critically examine opportunities for policy and program improvements. Students who graduate with this focus area are well-trained to take professional positions in a variety of settings from community-based service programs and organizations, to hospitals and nursing homes, to policy positions at the state and national level. Students may specialize in one or both of these areas by:
- participating in field units devoted to each of these specialized areas (health, aging, developmental disability, or social policy field units)
- choosing among specialized advanced practice electives within the focus area (e.g., Aging and Mental Health, Social Work Practice in Health Care, or Social Work and Developmental Disabilities).
Return to Advanced Generalist Specialization.
Focus Area Chair: Tracy Schroepfer, Ph.D.
Required and Elective Health Focus Area Courses:
1. Advanced Practice:
2. Policies and Services:
3. Focus Area Relevant Electives:
- SW 644 SW and Developmental Disabilities (spring)
- SW 648 End-of-Life: Implications and Challenges for Practice (spring)
- SW 821 Aging and Mental Health (fall)
4. Macro Practice:
- SW 840 Advanced Macro Practice (fall, spring)
5. Field Unit Options:
- Social Work Practice in Developmental and other Disabilities
- Social Work Practice in Health
- Social Work Practice with Older Adults
- Social Work Practice in Policy and Administration