- History and Traditions
- Student Involvement
- Life in Madison
- Students with Disabilities
- Focus on Diversity
- How Are We Doing?
- Undergraduate Majors
- Full-Time MSW Program
- Part-Time MSW Program
- Ph.D. Program
- Field Education
- Practice Skills Lab
Full-Time Field Program
MSW Student Rebecca Lorentzen speaks about her experiences in field
Students are placed in Field Units and then are placed in social work practice settings tied to that field unit. Field Units provide a conceptual base for practice as well as a supportive environment to learn, critique, and consult.
- Field Units are organized around a social problem area or a field of practice or a client population. Each unit has a range of field placement agencies and settings appropriate to its theme.
- Two-year MSW students find that the first year of field education is designed to provide a Generalist Practice perspective and direct practice experience. The focus is on learning and applying analytic and interventive skills within an ethically based, problem-focused approach. Such an approach affords opportunities for a variety of system interventions within a particular practice situation.
- In the second, or Advanced Practice Specialization year for one-year advanced MSW students, field education shifts its focus to advanced practice skill development and provides an integrated way to link field experiences with course work in the context of the student's specialization and focus area.
- Field faculty have scholarly as well as professional involvement in their particular areas of expertise; many have made influential contributions to social work practice.
For More Information
For additional resources on field units, the agencies they work with, and field course expectations see the Field Education Handbook. Field unit availability may vary from year to year because of curriculum needs, personnel changes, or funding. Please be aware of deadlines and other Important Dates for the Field Program. Current students should visit our Policies and Forms section for important information.