Ph.D. Financial Support

The School of Social Work provides highly competitive financial support to new and continuing Ph.D. students.


Graduate Assistantship and Fellowship positions include paid tuition, health insurance coverage, and a monthly stipend.


Teaching Assistantship (TA)

These positions at Social Work are typically given to doctoral students at a minimum of 33.33% appointment per semester. These positions are appointed by the Ph.D. program chairperson and are supervised by the course instructor.


Project Assistantship (PA)

These positions vary in the appointment percentage, ranging from 33.33% to 75%, typically for a 12-month period. These positions are appointed by individual faculty and enable students to work closely on the faculty’s research project.


Research Assistantship (RA)

These positions also vary in the appointment percentage, ranging from 33.33% to 75%, typically for a 12-month period. An appointment as a research assistant is made when the activity performed by the research assistant is primarily for the benefit of the individual's course of study and research and directly applicable to the individual's thesis or dissertation.



Advanced Opportunity Fellow (AOF): Individuals holding these appointments are qualifying students who receive support through equal opportunity funding provided by the State of Wisconsin under the Advanced Opportunity Program. AOF nominations are submitted through the department to the Graduate School.  Read more about the eligibility criteria on the Graduate School website.


University Fellow (UF): Students are nominated for these highly competitive campus-wide awards by the department. They are awarded based on demonstration of superior academic achievement, letters of recommendation, GRE scores, and an effective statement of purpose/reasons for graduate study.


Click on the chart for details on funding source amounts.


Scholarships and Awards

Thanks to the generosity of alumni and friends, the School of Social Work awards the following each year:


Other Funding Resources

The Web sites listed below provide useful information for students to utilize in their quest for funding.


Minnesota/Wisconsin Reciprocity

Minnesota residents who are certified by the Minnesota Office of Higher Education (MOHE) for the appropriate semester to attend UW-Madison under the Minnesota-Wisconsin Tuition Reciprocity Agreement will be assessed the approved reciprocity tuition rate, plus the segregated fees assessed for all UW-Madison students. It is the student's responsibility to inquire of MOHE about the suitability of reapplying, application procedures, and deadlines. Questions and application requests should be directed to the Minnesota Office of Higher Education, 1450 Energy Park Drive, Suite 350, St. Paul, MN 55108-5227, (651) 642-0567 or (800) 657-3866. Students may also obtain additional information at The Minnesota Office of Higher Education.

Last edited by karnaky on Monday, August 24, 2015 | Printer Friendly Version