Prospective Graduate Students

This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.

What is Advanced Standing, and How is it Determined?

Advanced Standing means an applicant has obtained exemptions from the MSW foundation year courses (first year of the Full-Time Program or first two years in the Part-Time Program). To qualify, the applicant must have completed a BSW degree from a CSWE accredited program within five years from the academic year of graduation to the academic year of enrollment. Advanced Standing is determined after you have been accepted to the MSW Program.

Students with a BSW from another institution will need to demonstrate that they have taken an appropriate psychopathology and statistics course to earn full advanced standing and be exempt from all foundation year courses.

Students who have not earned a BSW from an accredited program are NOT eligible for Advanced Standing, but may still be able to exempt from some foundation year courses (i.e. SW 605, SW 606, SW 710, SW 711, SW 612 and SW 650) and meet the statistics prerequisite. To explore exemption options available, visit the Exemption Process page.

Dual or Double Degrees

Students enrolled in the Full-Time MSW Program may earn a dual degree or double degree while pursuing graduate education at the School of Social Work.

International Students

The Sandra Rosenbaum School of Social Work International Applicant Requirements

The Graduate School requires additional application materials for international students. 

International Student Services (ISS) serves UW-Madison students on F and J visas by providing holistic support through advising on immigration, personal, and cultural matters, and by organizing events and activities to support students’ engagement and development within the campus community.

Financing Your Education

McBurney Disability Resource Center

The McBurney Disability Resource Center is the office for students with disabilities and classroom accommodations on the UW-Madison campus. 


Students can apply for on-campus Graduate Housing in the University Apartment Community.

UW Madison also provides an off-campus housing website: Campus Area Housing

Transportation Options for Students

Taking transit to UW-Madison is easier and more convenient than you might think. With the variety of routes, catching a Madison Metro bus is less stressful and better for the environment than driving alone to campus. Students can take campus bus routes for free, and receive a free Madison Metro bus pass. You can learn more at the UW Madison Transportation website.

Physical & Mental Health

University Health Services is the UW–Madison student health center, with a mission to enhance learning and student success by promoting, protecting, and restoring health and well-being.

Tuition / Residency Requirements / MN Reciprocity

A student’s individual tuition rate is calculated based on a number of factors including Academic Program, the number of credits taken and residency status. More information can be found on the Bursar’s Office Website