Winter Retreat Progress Report Out 2021
February 8, 2021
Field Education Committee
Committee Members: Audrey Conn, Katie Larsen-Klodd, Ron Chance, Ellen Smith, Alice Egan, Amanda Ngola, Amanda Zuehlke, Tim Latimer, Jake Dunn, Amy Basel, Liz Premo, Ashley Ploessl, Lindsey Zblewski
Strategic Plan Goal: Equip our students, faculty, alumni, and social work community partners to be social work leaders who an address diversity, equity and inclusion in their lives and careers.
Objective: Review and update all field syllabi with a focus on curricular transformation. Our hope is to increase content from primary sources (articles, guest speakers), and lesson topics and plans that more fully reflect non-majority perspectives in social work. This could include curricula around critical race theory, working across difference with white clients, identifying strengths in and contributions from historically marginalized populations, utilizing cultural humility, and other related topics. In other words, enrich and enhance content to address a broad understanding of global issues including historical and current contributions from non-majority groups and individuals. Furthermore, this objective serves to ensure students are seen and heard, their identities are reflected in seminar, and they have a broader, more balanced understanding of the field of social work and its practices.
*Continue to enhance and strengthen not only workshops; but supports and resources for agency supervisors, preceptors, and community partnerships. This would focus on DEI in student professional development and supervision.
- Progress Made:
- Resources located to enhance syllabus for DEI
- Collaboration from field faculty; support from FEC and PCC
- Audrey sits on many committees and brings field priorities, purpose, and perspective
- Action Steps moving Forward
- Review of evaluations/feedback/focus groups from various sources to influence steps to enhance DEI in seminar
- Rework and require the Practice Questions of the Week centered on DEI; enhance integration of content and practice
- Require field faculty to provide agency supervisors/preceptors with syllabus and readings to integrate into weekly supervision to strengthen conversations and awareness