1946: Gaining Independence

In 1946, the Board of Regents authorized the establishment of a separate Department of Social Work, offering a two-year Master’s degree in Social Work.

The new Department found its home in a small house on Observatory Hill, where the School of Social Work remained until moving to 425 Henry Mall in the early 1970s. The School of Social Work moved on to the current location, 1350 University Avenue, in the early 1990s. Today, the original Observatory Hill Office Building houses the La Follette School of Public Affairs, with which Social Work cross-lists several courses and several faculty members have affiliation.

House on Observatory Hill. Photo by: Jeff Miller