Reentry & Reapplication Instructions
Reentry Instructions for Previously Enrolled MSW Students
Previously enrolled MSW students are eligible to reenter the MSW program if they:
- left in good standing
- have been gone from the program no more than 5 years
- completed either 8 credits in the Full-Time Program; OR 6 credits in the Part-Time Program
You must email an Academic Advisor at the School of Social Work to determine if you qualify for reentry.
If you qualify for re-entry, the Graduate School requires that previously enrolled graduate students complete a Graduate Application. Scroll down to the section on “Previously Enrolled Graduate Students” for details and instructions. You will not need to include transcripts nor will you need to submit a personal or analytic essay. However, you will need to answer the supplemental application questions. It is recommended that this application be completed at least six weeks before the semester in which you want to enroll.
Please note: Previously enrolled Full-Time Program students looking to reenter the program for Fall semester must have their application completed by February 11th. Previously enrolled Part-Time Program students looking to reenter the program for Fall semester must have their application completed by May 15th.
Previous applicants and those who do not qualify for reentry, are welcome to reapply to the MSW Program, but must submit a new application. Reapplicants are those who:
- Had been accepted into our program, but never enrolled.
- Had been denied admission into our program.
- Had submitted an incomplete application.
- Enrolled but did not complete enough credits to be readmitted:
- 8 credits in the Full-Time Program
- 6 credits in the Part-Time Program
We do not consider old application materials and we do not defer admission to future semesters. All reapplications are reviewed and rated again along with the current applicant pool. A previous rating has no effect on your new application.
For more information, please see the UW-Madison Graduate School’s Policy on Readmission.