Template for Winter Retreat Progress Report Out 2021
February 16, 2021
Committee Name IVE Admissions Committee
Committee Members: Alice Egan, Audrey Conn, Ellen Smith, Jessica Pac, Cindy Waldeck, Nancy Ortegon-Johnson, & Michael Hoffmeister
Strategic Plan Goal(s):
Goal 1: Increase the diversity of our students, staff, faculty, and other governing bodies.
Goal 3: Equip our students, staff, faculty, alumni, and social work community partners to be social justice leaders who can address diversity, equity, and inclusion in their lives and careers.
- Created new admissions questions focused on equity.
- Collaborating with Committee on Diversity and Inclusion to add a IVE event to the visit day agenda
- Exploring spring virtual events as a recruitment tool for child welfare training program
- Create a buddy program to create a sense of inclusion between new and advanced year students.
- Collaborated with Social Workers Confronting Racial Injustice Conference committee on keynote speaker, who was the author of the child welfare book selection
- Spring and fall Child Welfare Dialogue speakers related to DEI
- Child Welfare book club selections related to DEI
- Engage with students and community in learning about the UpEnd Child Welfare Movement including speakers and lunch and learn events.
Key Messages from the IVE Admissions team
IVE Admissions places a priority on accepting and supporting students who represent the clientele disproportionately served by child welfare in our state.
IVE Admissions is purposeful about using IV-E resources to advance the diversity and inclusion goals of the school, especially as they relate to child welfare.
IVE Admissions desires a IV-E program that views anti-racism as a key element of child welfare.